Nirjuli without electricity again, residents running out of patience

Staff Reporter
ITANAGAR, Aug 20: The people of Nirjuli township are once again without electricity, since early Monday morning, reportedly due to burning of a cable, and the power department had not succeeded in restoring electricity till the filing of this report.
Power supply was disrupted in Nirjuli a few days earlier also, causing much trouble to the residents, who have appealed to the department to find a permanent solution to the problem.
“Everybody knows that electricity supply is constantly disrupted in Nirjuli area. The problem crops up on a regular basis but the power department always goes for short-term solution. We have had enough of this. The patience of the people is fast running out. The department should on urgent basis work out a long-term solution,” said Ringu Kuku, former AAPSU leader and a resident of Nirjuli.
He added, “The power minister is busy touring foreign countries but his department is failing to provide proper electricity supply to a township which comes under the capital complex region. If this is the condition of a town which is located hardly a few kilometres away from Itanagar, what must be the condition of villages located in interior areas?”
Many of the residents are dependent on electricity to get drinking water from wells, he said. “With no power, we are struggling even to get drinking water. To make matter worse, capital complex has been witnessing intense heat wave in the last 10 days.”
Nirjuli town also houses several important central and state government institutions and offices, including the North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology, the premier technical institute of the state.
When contacted, Nirjuli Power House JE Kabak Vicky informed that power supply has been interrupted since Monday morning as the department had to carry out repair work on the main power panel board which was damaged as two conductors attached with the power lines in Doimukh area snapped early in the morning.
“Repair work is almost over and hopefully power supply will resume by late this evening,” said the JE.