Patient electrocuted

YUPIA, Apr 5: A mental health patient, Logu Mangam, was reportedly electrocuted when he came in contact with an unfenced transformer inside the campus of the Mental Health Centre (MHC) here on Thursday morning.
Mangam is admitted at a city-based hospital and is stated to be out of danger.
Taking strong exception to the incident, the All Nyishi Students’ Union (ANSU) has urged the state government to take immediate steps to address the matter, and to provide relief to the victim.
ANSU vice president Tana Sushil Tara and assistant general secretary Charu Okam visited the patient at the hospital.
In a statement, the union said the MHC does not have basic security measures for the wards, and that the inmates are living in a pathetic condition, with an unhygienic bathroom, improper water supply, and inadequate manpower to take care of them.
It said the centre’s appalling condition was ‘due to the absence of an independent budgetary plan,’ and urged the state government to place sufficient fund for the centre.
It also urged the government to grant ‘independent functioning power’ to the hospital.