Prime accused in child abuse case arrested

Staff Reporter

ITANAGAR, 18 Jun: The prime accused in the Seijosa child abuse case, Lukbi Bojir, was arrested on Thursday by the Pakke-Kessang police.

Bojir was wanted under Seijosa police station Case No 04/21 u/s 363, 326, 34 IPC, read with Section 75 of the JJB Act and Section 14 of the Bonded Labour Act. He had been absconding ever since the victim’s father had lodged an FIR against him.

Briefing the media, Pakke-Kessang SP Habung Hailyang informed that Bojir was arrested from Assam after he surrendered before the

police along the Pasighat road near Podumoni in North Lakhimpur, Assam. Bojir has been remanded to seven days in police custody.

“After the sessions court in Bomdila rejected his anticipatory bail, we used some pressure tactics against the accused, which forced him to surrender before the police,” said the SP. He added that on 3 June, the Pakke-Kessang police got an order from the Bomdila sessions court, stating that the accused’s defence lawyer had filed for an anticipatory bail.

“On 7 June, there was a hearing. Our investigating officer prayed for rejection of anticipatory bail before the court, and again a hearing was fixed on 14 June, resulting in rejection of his anticipatory bail plea,” the SP said.

“As per the observation made by the medical legal certificate, some section added: 376 IPC read with Section 6 of the POCSO Act,” Hailyang informed.

The SP also informed that the court has granted bail to the co-accused and wife of Lukbi Bojir on medical grounds.

Providing an update on the victim’s health, the SP disclosed that the minor is yet to fully recover from mental trauma.

“This case is sensitive from the psychological point of view, so we need to tackle it carefully,” said the SP, and asserted that the filing of the chargesheet would be fast-tracked.

Meanwhile, a relative of Bojir’s appealed for fair investigation, claiming that Bojir is innocent. The relative also said that Bojir did not sexually assault the child as is being claimed. He appealed to the local media to report both versions of the story and not jump to conclusions before the investigation is over.