ITANAGAR, Sep 6: Claiming that unfair means and irregularities surrounded the entire recruitment process of UDC, LDC and MTS, held on August 19 and 20 under Siang district Deputy Commissioner, Rahul Singh, the Siang District Student’s Union (SDSU) on Wednesday threatened to launch an indefinite bandh in Siang district from September 8 next if their demands were unfulfilled.
The SDSU’s demands include re-conduct of the examinations, immediate removal of DC Rahul Singh and thorough investigation of the entire recruitment process.
The tough call from the district students’ organisation came over the alleged involvement of DC Rahul Singh in the recruitment process of the said posts.
In a press conference held here at the Press Club on Wednesday, SDSU Assistant General Secretary, Tamer Tachung claimed that the DC had engaged an interviewee, one Rita Chetry of class XII, in the evaluation process, who was later identified by the Arunachal Teachers Association Siang district unit members.
Rita Chetry, bearing roll number 474 had appeared for the Multi-Tasking Staff. Later, her candidacy was terminated by the DC on August 30, 2017.
The union claimed that the DC was single-handedly managing the entire recruitment process, which according to them has no transparency.
Also supporting the SDSU, AdiSU IPR Secretary, Kalen Tading said that the manner of the DC in managing the recruitment process was not only questionable but the frequently examination dates through repeated corrigenda raised many eyebrows.
Despite, the rigorous opposition from various organisations, the DC went on to declare written examination result recently.
Hardening its stand, the union demanded that the government re-conduct the said examination and constitute an inquiry committee to unearth the truth in the entire process and remove the DC from the district before September 8, 2017, adding that failing to do so would invite an indefinite bandh in the district from September 8 onwards.
Meanwhile, the DC strongly refuted the allegations, terming it as baseless and unfounded. In a statement mailed through the DIPRO, the DC office maintained that all necessary measures had been undertaken to ensure the sanctity and fairness of the examination.
Regarding allegation of involvement of a candidate Rita Chettry in the evaluation process, the DC clarified, “Since all the ALCs of the office had appeared in the examination, they could not be engaged in any activity related to the examination. Hence, on the advice of the ALC in-charge, the girl who is the daughter of a senior ALC was unknowingly engaged in miscellaneous tasks, like bundling and un-bundling of papers, serving tea etc.”
However, she was never involved in any such process that would have any bearing on the end results and its fairness in any manner. Further, there were 20 teachers, two magistrates and office staff in the same room where the evaluation process was going on, the DC added.
“Her entering into the evaluation room was a bona-fide error. As soon as it was brought to the notice of the authority that the girl had also appeared in the written examination, an executive order cancelling her candidature was issued immediately in order to maintain the sanctity of the examinations”, the DC maintained.
The DC further termed the allegations doing round as part of malicious campaign by the various vested interest groups as they had a direct altercation with the DC in his office recently.
The DC office appealed to all the candidates not to be influenced by such baseless allegations and rumour mongering, and to focus on further preparation for the remaining examinations.