Govt will not succumb to pressure tactics: CM

PASIGHAT, Oct 11: Chief Minister Pema Khandu on Thursday said the state government would not succumb to any pressure tactics by the Confederation of Service Associations of Arunachal Pradesh (CoSAAP).
Addressing a public meeting here, the CM said the government would not hesitate to terminate the agitating employees from service.
“We will be happy to do so, as we are eager to recruit fresh hardworking and committed employees,” Pema said.
Terming the CoSAAP’s strike illegal, anti-development, and against public interest, the chief minister said “a few individuals under the banner of CoSAAP” were misusing their position for their own benefits and misleading the entire employee community.
“In fact, the majority of the employees do not approve of such kind of pressure tactics,” he said.
“The BJP government in the state has neither intimidated anybody nor will be intimidated by anyone. Certain individuals, being aware of election timing, are trying to manipulate the situation for their own benefit and giving the issue a political colour,” he said.
Issuing a warning of “cautionary action” against the agitating employees, the chief minister said the ‘no work, no pay’ rule would be applied on the first day of the strike.
“If the strike persists for the second day, there will be ‘break in service’ for those employees taking part,” he said.
Urging the CoSAAP to “rise above their self-interest and think for the larger interest of the state,” Pema said that about 60% of the state’s resources are spent on revenue expenditure, including salaries, wages, OE, and OC, “leaving a meagre 40% for development activities.”
“Take a moment to consider the welfare of others, too. How justified are we if try to suck in all resources for our own benefit?” he asked.
He said Arunachal has one of the highest government employee-population ratios in the country, putting great financial pressure on the already resource-crunched state.
The CM said the state government is not against the demand of the CoSAAP for additional allowances but is only seeking time as the state’s financial position is not sound as of now to meet all the demands at one go.
“As and when the financial condition improves, the state government will implement the allowances for the government employees phase wise,” he said.
Pema said the state government has granted tough location and soft location allowances, including house rent allowance for group C employees, and NPA for doctors.
“This is despite the state government not being constitutionally obliged to fulfill such demands,” he said.
Pema said Arunachal Pradesh is one of the few states in India to implement the 7th CPC recommendations and has been giving out other benefits from time to time.
“The state government had also agreed to enhance the retirement age despite protests from several employees,” he said.
Addressing the BJP workers, the chief minister appealed for support from the party members for efficient functioning of the government.
Saying that the state government has been able to come up with several reforms in the last two years, Pema advocated synergy between party functionaries and the government, “so that the fruits of development schemes percolate to the last man.”
Speaking on the Arunachal Pradesh Staff Selection Board, the CM said it would curtail corruption and nepotism in the recruitment process.
“The policy will encourage the younger generation to follow the path of hard work and imbibe competitiveness, instead of taking shortcut means to get into government jobs,” he said.
Earlier, MoS for Home Kiren Rijiju spoke on the ‘BJP’s evolution in Arunachal Pradesh’.
State BJP president Tapir Gao also spoke. (CMO)