Electrician dies of electrocution, three injured

KHONSA, May 15: In a tragic incident, a casual electrician died of electrocution and three casual workers received severe injuries here on Tuesday.
The deceased has been identified as Wangkho alias Akho Wangsa (29), a native of Pongchau village in Longding district, reports DIPRO.
The incident occurred around 11.45 am while they were installing new electric poles near Borduria village.
Those who sustained severe injuries are Bothak Wangsu of Chatting village, Tephiam Lama of Borduria village, and Wanghun Lowakho of Paniduria village. They were immediately evacuated to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh for treatment, the report said. The three were employed as casual workers under the Khonsa electrical division.
The deceased’s wife Piman Wangsa and her relatives have appealed to the power department and Education Minister Honchun Ngandum to employ her as a peon or a contingency worker in the electrical department on compassionate ground, so that she may be able to look after her three minor children.
Wangkho leaves behind two sons and a daughter.
Meanwhile, the public here have raised serious concern over the occurrence of such incidents from time to time, and sought to know who is to blame for such incidents.
They also sought to know if the casual workers and electricians are well trained, and why the government has not created regular posts of electricians, the report added.