Govt hands over Ojing Taying murder case to CBI

ITANAGAR, Jul 6: The Arunachal Pradesh government has handed over the Ojing Taying murder case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The home department transferred the case to the CBI, based on the recommendation of the director general of police, the chief minister’s office (CMO) said.
Despite the case having been registered more than a year ago, no substantive progress was visible and there are still no clues about the culprits, it said.
The CMO said the case has been transferred to the CBI, so that specialized and technical investigation may be carried out to expedite justice.
The home commissioner has submitted to the CBI the gist of the case along with the detailed report of the investigations made by the state’s special investigation team (SIT), it said.
Ojing Taying had succumbed to his injuries nine days after he was brutally attacked by some miscreants on 10 June in Itanagar last year.
A case was registered under Section 341/326/302/34 IPC at the Itanagar police station on the basis of a complaint lodged by the elder brother of the victim on 14 June, 2017.
As the investigations were making no headway, the case had been transferred to the SIT on 4 April, 2018.
Our Pasighat correspondent adds: The family members of Taying, along with student leaders and the public here have welcomed the state government’s decision to hand over the case to the premier investigating agency of the country.
They are optimistic that the CBI would look into every possible angle to unearth the truth behind the murder and nab the culprits involved.
“I fervently appeal to the premier investigating agency to expedite investigation. I hope the investigating agency will leave no stone unturned during the course of investigation and would defy any political interference,” said Jiten Taying, the father of the deceased.
The failure of the SIT to solve the case had drawn massive public ire in East Siang district. The student community, the public, and various organizations had taken out protest rallies against the authority’s failure to solve the case, and demanded that the case be handed over to the CBI.